Continuing Education Grants

Continuing education grants are based on need and available through government grants (both federal and state level) and private organizations (corporate and university). It is recommended that everyone applies for all grants they qualify for. A good place to start is by filling out a FASFA form which is used for both education grants, and for federal student loan qualifications.  And the FASFA website is the best place to see grants that have been verified by the federal government.

The Federal Pell Grant is the most common and most popular education grant. Other grants you may want to check out are the Academic Competitiveness Grant, , Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant (FSEOG), National Science and Math Access to Retain Talent Grant (SMART grant),and military grants.

The biggest benefit of getting a grant instead of a student loan is that the grant will never need to be paid back. Attending a public university will increase your chances of receiving the majority of your college being paid for by education grants. If you attend a private college, you will likely have to use several different grants, scholarships, and possibly student loans in order to pay for it all. The average cost of a public university is $10,000 a year verses $20,000 a year for a private university.

If you begin making more money while you are attending school, you stand the risk of losing your grant, depending on how much the increase is, and if it puts you above the maximum income level.  You will also need to stay enrolled as a full time student in order to keep the education grant.

With the help of education grants, and the right guidance from career counselors at the colleges, more students are able to succeed with their academic and career choices.  This in turn will help them get the job that they are seeking once they graduate college.